Pages

Monday, March 03, 2008

Inspired by Oprah

I've been intending to get back to blogging and make it part of my writing life for weeks. I advise others to blog when they consult with me. So why haven't I done it? Poor excuses mostly and I won't bore you with them.

I read some incredible statistics on Friday in Publisher's Lunch about what has happened to A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle since being selected as an Oprah Book Club title. In advance of the announcement, the publisher, Penguin, shipped an initial order of 775,000 books. Then, Oprah and Tolle announced a free 10-week online webinar for readers. In the past four weeks, Penguin has shipped an additional 3.34 million books, "the record for the most copies ever shipped by Penguin Group USA in a four-week period."

Four million books in slightly over a month. Because Oprah endorsed it. That's power. Not only of the woman, but of her words. Now millions of people are reading Tolle that never read him before and never would have. (Think some of them might even buy his previous titles?) Do you think he will influence lives?

You and I have the same power. Every time we speak or write, we send out messages. As writers, our words have lasting power. And so, I am once again inspired to write in my blog as well as in my weekly newsletter The Wordy Woman because I, too, have a mission and I believe in the power of the pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment